Bridgeway Academy requires all graduates to complete community service meeting the requirements outlined below:
- Community service must be completed by students in Grades nine through twelve.
- Students must complete a minimum of 60 hours of community service during their high school years. Community service may be performed at any time during a student’s high school career, from the summer before freshman year until the last day of classes their senior year. The number of hours will be prorated for students joining the academy after their freshman year. Students should complete 15 hours of community service for each year enrolled.
- Programs must be on a volunteer basis only. If students are compensated for their work, they are not granted credit for community service. There are some exceptions to this rule. For example: If a student is a member of an animal rescue group fostering animals for adoption, students may receive reimbursement for food and medical bills pertaining to the care of animals.
- Activity format is flexible; students may elect to engage in a single activity or many over an extended or concentrated period of time.
- Program should be directly related to your community.
- A full description of your student’s service must be provided to Bridgeway Academy for approval PRIOR to beginning. Once the program is approved, the student may begin their service.
- A Community Service Evaluation Form must be completed each quarter by your student’s supervisor or the director of the program. Additional information is emailed to all high school students shortly after beginning their homeschool program.