The Work Experience Education Program involves three types of work experiences. Each type involves a plan to gain experience in a given occupational area to supplement the learning opportunities at school.
- The Exploratory Program is developed to help the student experience a variety of opportunities with credits and grades, but without pay, to assist them in their career making decisions. (Example: health careers, teaching, auto mechanics, etc.)
- The General Program is a plan to earn expense money while attending school. Students are evaluated by their employers, although these jobs may not be related to future goals. No Credits are available within this program; however, work experience will be listed on the student’s transcript.
- The Vocational Program is designed to provide the student with the opportunity to experience what he/she has, at this point in time, decided to make their career. It offers pay, credits, letter grades, and might be combined with supporting classes at the college level or high school courses. (Example: dental assistant, insurance officer, clerical, etc.)
Enrollment in this program is a privilege, which can demand more from the student than other classes, but if taken seriously, should benefit the student in the future.
Work Experience Education Placement Requirements
- Student must be a high school student (grades 9-12)
- Minimum of 5 hours per week
- Work period should not interfere with the school day unless arranged
- Student must pre-register for the program by completing the “Statement of Intent to Participate in Work Experience Education Program” and returning it to their academic advisor.
- Forms must be signed by the student, parent, and employer and returned to the Bridgeway Academy academic advisor before formal registration.
One credit is awarded for 120 hours of work experience education per year. The maximum credits to be earned are 2 credits.
Employer must agree to evaluate pupil once every nine weeks using our Work Experience Evaluation Form.
- School rules apply to work experience students.
- When changing jobs, you must notify your Bridgeway Academy academic advisor or you will not receive credit and will be dropped from the program.
- When changing jobs, you will have two weeks in which to find another job; however, notification of unemployment must be made within one week or you will be dropped from the program.
- Students must maintain a minimum of an 80% average or you will be dropped from the program.
The “Statement of Intent to Participate in Work Experience Education Program” can be found under Forms and Documents in the Bridgeway Learning Center.