Bridgeway Academy offers a wide array of live, online class options for students in Grades 1 – 12. Our Live Online Class program offers full-year and semester-long courses for students in Grades 6 – 12, and 10-week trimester courses for elementary and middle school students. You can find all the information you need about our course offerings and schedule on our web page: Bridgeway Academy Live Online Class.
General Program Descriptions
Full-year Classes, Grades 6 - 12, depending on the course selected
- Meet live online once per week for 60-90 minutes of instruction
- Run September through early June
- Full teacher support all year long
- Certificate of course completion issued with grade included; transcript available upon request
- Offer high school students 1 or more credits per course
- May require textbooks or laboratory kits or other supplies
- Cover core subject matter with daily or weekly assignments
- Assignments and assessments graded by teacher
Semester Classes, Grades 6-12, depending on the course selected
- Meet live online once per week for 90 minutes of instruction
- Full teacher support for semester
- Fall and spring semesters offered
- Certificate of completion issued with grade included; transcript available upon request
- Offer high school students 1/2 credit per course
- Textbooks or other supplies may be required for some courses
- Assignments and assessments graded by teacher
- Enrichment and elective subject matter with daily or weekly assignments
Trimester Classes, Grades 1-8
- Meet live online once per week for 60 minutes of instruction
- Full teacher support for 10 weeks
- 3 Trimesters each year, with plenty of courses to explore
- Certificate of course completion issued at end of course
- No textbooks required. Some courses do require a kit or novel purchase
- Enrichment and elective subject matter with weekly assignments
|August 30, 2019||Registration Deadline for Full-year, Semester 1, and Trimester 1 Live Online Classes|
|September 9, 2019||Full-year, Semester 1,and Trimester 1 Live Online Courses Begin|
|November 15, 2019||Last day of Trimester 1 Live Online Courses|
|November 18, 2019||First Day of Trimester 2 Live Online Courses|
|November 25-29, 2019||Thanksgiving break for Full-year and Semester 1 Live Online Courses|
|December 23-January 3, 2020||Christmas Break|
|January 6, 2020||All Classes Resume|
|January 10, 2020||Last Day of Semester 1 Courses|
|January 13, 2020||Semester 2 Courses Begin|
|February 14, 2020||Last Day of Trimester 2 Courses|
|February 17, 2020||First Day of Trimester 3 Courses|
|April 8-14, 2020||Easter Break|
|May 1, 2020||Last Day of Trimester 3, Semester 2, and Full Year Courses|
LIVE ONLINE CLASS RULES AND ETIQUETTE
- Bridgeway Academy has a strict Honor Code that must always be adhered to. Bridgeway Academy requires that all submitted homework be the student’s ORIGINAL thoughts. This means students must use their own words when completing assignments. All outside research must be referenced in the students' work via citations. Failure to do so is considered plagiarism and could result in disciplinary action.
- Students are to be respectful, kind, and polite, when interacting with classmates and the instructor. Foul and inappropriate language will not be tolerated in the classroom or on student submissions. In-class features that allow chatting or posting should only be used for the purpose of discussing the course with the teacher and conveying information about class content to other students. These features are not to be used for socializing. Disciplinary action can result should a student misuse or abuse the interactive technology within the classroom. Failure to comply with these requirements could result in termination from the course. All enrollment and moneys will be forfeited as a result of disciplinary removal from a course.
- For attendance and privacy purposes, students should log in to Zoom classes with their accurate and true first name and last initial.
- Students are responsible for completing assignments and in a timely manner. If students in full-year or semester courses do not complete any assignments within a two-week period, parents will be notified. The student will be considered at risk if no response is received and may be placed on Academic Hold.
- Students are expected to attend and participate in Live Online Classes. If a student in a full year or semester course has two consecutive weeks of absences and/or consistently leaves class and has not notified the instructor, parents will be notified. The student will be considered at risk if no response is received and may be placed on Academic Hold.
LATE/MISSING ASSIGNMENT POLICY
It is the expectation that students, in order to experience optimum academic success, must complete all assignments. Teachers will post all assignments including due dates on the course Moodle page and provide notice during live classes. On the day that the assignment is due, students who have not submitted work will be notified that the work is now late and that the following late penalties will apply:
1 school day late
10% reduction of the earned grade
2 school days late
20% reduction of the earned grade
3 to 5 school days late
30% deduction to the earned grade
Assignments will not be accepted after the five late days.
Teachers may make exceptions to the above at their discretion based upon formal parent request for an extension due to severe illness, death in the family or other personal difficulty.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are the benefits of having my child participate in live, online courses? Your child will experience academic collaboration, engage in exciting discussions and topics, complete hands-on projects, and work with a teacher who is an expert in both content and online learning. They learn valuable skills in time management and responsibility through completing course work. The topics and course lengths are sure to offer something for your learner. Our teachers know what it takes to appeal to a full spectrum of learning styles and are happy to work with you to create the best possible educational experience for your child.
When are the Live Online Class registration deadlines? You are encouraged to register early. Class sizes are limited and enrollment in many of our courses fills up far in advance of the registration deadlines listed. Course dates and information are available on the calendar section above on this page..
How do students access assignments, view course resources, and submit work to the instructor? When students enroll in a Live Online Class, they get access to the Bridgeway Academy Moodle site. Within Moodle, your child can access assignments, view course resources, submit their work, take tests and quizzes, and view feedback and grades from the teacher. It holds all the course content your child needs to be successful with their course.
What does my child need to participate in a Live Online Class? Our Live Online Classes use Zoom with the experience found inside your child’s Moodle course by clicking on the link to the “Zoom Online Classroom” located near the top of the course page. Zoom works with all computers and mobile devices and requires a small download to the device for the best experience. While Zoom works with all computers and mobile devices, some features are limited for mobile devices.
Students will need:
- a high-speed Internet connection. For more information pertaining to Internet connection and bandwidth requirements, please visit Zoom System Requirements.
- a headset with a built-in microphone.
- a webcam
Some courses may require the additional purchase of course materials, such as textbooks, novel sets, or laboratory kits. When this is the case, the additional materials needed and the associated costs are easily seen when you click “View Details” next to any course listed on the Live Online Classe pages for Elementary, Middle School, or High School. Unless otherwise specified, these items are available for purchase through Bridgeway Academy.
What if my child is absent from a live class? Attendance and participation are requirements for success in Live Online Classes; however, we understand a student may occasionally be absent due to illness, travel, or valid personal reasons. Recordings of the live classes will be made available to students and are required viewing when an absence occurs. If your child will be absent for an extended period, it is essential to communicate directly with the teacher in order to facilitate a plan to help your child be successful with the course work. Certificates of course completion for trimester-long courses will only be issued for children attending 60% or more of the live class sessions unless other arrangements are made with the full approval of the course instructor. All full-year and semester-long courses include attendance as part of the student's final grade, so regular attendance is necessary for successful course completion.
What if my child has an IEP or other consideration? If your student has any special need or consideration, please contact your advisor or the Live Online Class instructor. They will ensure that any and all accommodations and/or modifications to the content and assignments will be made for your student.
Are teachers available to assist students with their course work? All Live Online Classes are taught by experienced teachers who have a passion for learning and helping students succeed. If your child needs assistance outside of the live class sessions, you are encouraged to contact the teacher by email at any time or by phone.
What is the refund policy for Live Online Classes? Bridgeway Academy limits Live Online Class sizes by reserving and holding seats for enrolled approved students, making that seat unavailable to other students, often months in advance of the course start date. A Reservation Drop Fee is applied if the course is dropped after purchase, but prior to completing the course. The Reservation Drop Fee is $50 and is applied to all Live Online Class withdrawals, and is applied per course dropped. Course refunds can only be provided if the withdrawal request is made within 14 days following the course start date. Withdrawal requests beyond 14 days following the course start date are no longer eligible for a refund. Contact your Bridgeway Academy advisor if you wish to change a Live Online Class selection or withdraw from a Live Online Class.
Live Online Class Materials: K’nex Education kits are non-refundable. Unused textbooks and unopened novel sets and other laboratory kits may be returned within 30 days of purchase for a full refund minus any applicable shipping costs. Used or opened course materials are non-refundable items. The headset and high-speed Internet access required for participation in the live course are the sole responsibility of the customer.
What is the Live Online Class cancellation policy? Course cancellations are rare, but if for any reason a course is not able to run as scheduled, the student will be given the option of enrolling in a course of equal value offered during the same academic year. In the event the student is unable to select a replacement course for any reason, Bridgeway Academy will refund the entire purchase price of the course. If a student wishes to select a course of higher value, the student may opt to pay the difference between the cost of the cancelled course and the new course selected. Students are also responsible for purchasing any course materials necessary for the new course selection.
If I have already purchased a Bridgeway Academy textbook course, is it possible to add on the live class option as an upgrade? Yes! If you have purchased a textbook course for which there is a corresponding Live Online Class, you can purchase an upgrade to your textbook course. In addition to an upgrade fee, you may need to purchase additional materials for the Live Online Class version of the course. Please speak to your advisor or one of our homeschool specialists for details.
Once I am enrolled in a Live Online Class, is it possible to change my course selection? Our Live Online Classes have limited seating available. Because of this, please consider carefully which course(s) are best suited to your child's academic needs, interests, and schedule, before enrolling your child in a course. Bridgeway Academy cannot guarantee a course change will be possible. If you must request a course change, contact your advisor to do so.
Whom should I contact if I have a question about a course? Prior to the course start date, your advisor will be the best person to contact when questions arise. Once the course has begun, you are strongly encouraged to present any questions to the course instructor whose information is provided to you on your course syllabus and within the Moodle onine course. Addressing questions directly to the course instructor by telephone will result in the quickest response, but you may also email the course instructor.
A CLOSING THOUGHT
At Bridgeway Academy, our goal is to help children succeed by tailoring learning to individual strengths and needs, by offering dedicated support to families, and by giving students the freedom to pursue their God-given gifts and abilities. Bridgeway Academy is a faith-based company that seeks to honor God as it serves each child. Our Live Online Class program is an extension of this mission.